Assignment 1: Discussion—Workplace Safety
Whether the workplace is a construction site, a factory, or an office, it has its own inherent risks, which should be identified and controlled. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations are designed to help employers protect their employees and help employees hold their employers accountable for work conditions.
Workers’ compensation insurance includes and supports employee health, ensuring that employees get appropriate healthcare if an accident occurs at the workplace. Employers are not obligated to provide workers’ compensation coverage but can be held financially responsible in the event of injury or death. Employers who choose not to carry workers’ compensation can be sued for lost wages and medical care by an injured employee. Workers’ compensation laws vary by state.
In this assignment, you will analyze laws related to health and safety arrangements in the workplace.
Look around your work environment or select one to observe. Identify at least two health or safety risks to the employees. The risks may be physical (such as improperly stacked boxes) or environmental (such as mold in air ducts).
In 3–5 paragraphs, analyze the risks identified. Answer the following questions:
- Which sections of OSHA regulations are being violated?
- What are the possible methods of resolving such issues?
- Does the employer carry workers’ compensation in the event of an injury, illness, or death? What workers’ compensation laws is the employer subject to in your state?
Use scholarly references, including original laws and regulations, to support your points. Give all citations in the APA format.
- By Saturday, February 4, 2017, post your responses to this Discussion Area.
- Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the module as possible. Through Wednesday, February 8, 2017, respond substantively to at least two of your classmates’ postings. Include examples, critical-thinking questions, observations, or suggestions based on scholarly references. Consider the following questions:
- Were the risks and solutions suggested by your classmates also applicable to your workplace?
- Are the workers’ compensation laws cited similar to those in your state?
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Initial response was:
Discussion Response and Participation: