When You’re Big, You Can Be Your Own B2B E-Marketplace
Read Case: When You’re Big, You Can Be Your Own B2B E-Marketplace on page 151 in the text and answer the questions below. APA formatting guidelines require a title page, abstract page, and reference page in addition to the body of the paper.
- Volkswagen operates its own proprietary B2B e-marketplaces in which its suppliers participate. What are the disadvantages to Volkswagen of not using a generic B2B e-marketplace with even more suppliers? What are the advantages to Volkswagen of developing and using its own proprietary B2B e-marketplace?
- When Volkswagen needs a new part design, it uses VWsupplygroup.com to get its suppliers involved in the design process early. This creates a tremendous amount of inter-organizational collaboration. What are the advantages to the suppliers and to Volkswagen in doing so?
- How is Volkswagen’s VWgroupsupply.com B2B e-marketplace an example of a vertical e-marketplace implementation? How is it an example of a horizontal e-marketplace implementation? Why is it necessary that Volkswagen combine both of these e-marketplaces into one e-marketplace? What would be the drawbacks to creating two different e-marketplaces – one for suppliers of direct materials and one for suppliers of MRO material?
- To make effective purchasing decisions, Volkswagen’s purchasing agents need business intelligence. What kind of business intelligence does iPAD provide to purchasing agents for carrying out their tasks? What additional kinds of business intelligence not discussed in this case could Volkswagen’s purchasing agents take advantage of to make more effective decisions?
- IPAD manages the workflow for purchasing agents. Describe how iPAD manages this process including information provided, steps to be executed, and the presentation of information.