Using a systems perspective shows that the world is created of interrelated forces. When we think in these terms, we can expand our capabilities to create the results within an organization that is desired — where new patterns are created, new paths are nurtured, and a learning organization is created. In this assignment, learners will look at the basic characteristics of systems thinking, determine how these characteristics relate to organizations, and discuss components of a learning organization. Research about how systems thinking is currently used will be essential to the successful completion of this assignment.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
• Instructors will be using a grading rubric to grade the assignments. It is recommended that learners review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment in order to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
• Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center.
• This assignment requires that at least two additional scholarly research sources related to this topic, and at least one in-text citation from each source be included.
Write a 1,000-1,250-word paper that discusses the concept of systems thinking as it is applied in organizations today. Address the following in your paper:
1. Explain the basic characteristics of systems thinking.
2. Discuss how these characteristics relate to organizations.
3. Discuss the five major components of a learning organization and how they relate to systems thinking.
4. Elaborate as to how systems thinking might expand the capabilities of the work force.
5. Summarize the characteristics of a learning organization versus those of a traditional organization and how each functions.