Right to Counsel
The competencies addressed in this discussion are supported by discussion objectives.
· Competency 3: Explain the substantive and procedural interpretations of individual freedoms based on case analysis.
· Summarize how the right to counsel has evolved at the state and federal levels through court interpretation of the Sixth Amendment.
· Explain the implications for failing to comply with the Sixth Amendment during a critical stage of the case process.
· Competency 4: Document philosophical underpinnings and public policy influences associated with U.S. Supreme Court decisions.
· Illustrate how philosophical underpinnings and public policy influenced the U.S. Supreme Court in key Sixth Amendment right-to-counsel decisions.