LEG 100 Discussions
Review the article / videos below which set the stage for your discussion response.
· Fired Flight Attendants Fight Back Against United Airline (Full Report and Video [1:36])
- Contracts (0:47)
· Imagine you represent a person who claims to have been the victim of a breach of contract. Determine the information that you would need to know to best determine if there was a contract. How would you present a case to a court to show your client was the victim of a breach of contract, and how would you overcome the defenses to the alleged breach? Be sure to use legal terms and concepts from the reading to support your analysis.
View the clip below, in which one person believes they are partners and the other believes it is an employer / employee relationship. Agents may bind the principal in a number of ways. When you are reviewing the video, consider whether the intentions / understanding of each party make a difference, and then respond to the discussion question below.
· Clip – Agency – Richard Gere: You Work For Me (2012) (0:45)
· As a small-business owner, you are faced with rising costs, particularly employment costs, insurance, et cetera. So, you decide to hire some friends and pay them as they work, rather than go through the expense and procedure of bringing in “actual” employees. Your friends wear the business uniform, deal with vendors and customers, and tell friends and family that they work for the business. One friend / employee orders way too much from a vendor. The vendor has dealt with the person numerous times; in fact, the person has been ordering from the vendor for months.
· Since the person who ordered was not an “employee,” but a friend you hired, are you liable to pay for the improper order?
· Discuss the implications of agency that apply in this situation, and describe at least one (1) way the company may be able to cancel or return the order in question.
· Be sure to support your legal analysis with concepts and definitions from the reading.