Option #1: Leaders Who Fall to the Pitfalls of Leadership
In this week’s required reading, The Value of Valuing Employees, the author states that there are six pitfalls that a leader can fall into—poor behaviors that can make employees or followers feel as if they don’t matter. Comaford (2013) states that “When employees are made to feel that they don’t matter, it happens on an emotional level, not an intellectual one” (para. 6).
- Think about each of the pitfalls mentioned in the reading.
- For each of the six pitfalls, provide an example of a leader (from your work, life experience, from the media, or your research on leaders) who you think engaged in that particular pitfall. Note that you should consider using fictitious names for both the individual and the organization.
- Describe the situation, focusing on how the leader committed the pitfall.
- Explain the impact of the pitfall on the organization and on the team.
- What could the leader have done differently in order to correct his or her behavior?
- Support your statements with two outside academic sources other than the textbook, course materials, or other information provided as part of the course materials.
Write a 3- to 4-page paper, using each pitfall as a separate heading in your paper. For this assignment, you will want to refer to the handout – Writing an Effective Essay. You may also want to view the sample paper, Does your paper look like this? and go to the CSU-Global Library’s APA resources for an APA Template Paper. Be sure your paper follows APA style according to the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements.