The Fair Use doctrine is a defense to a claim of intellectual property infringement, specifically against claims of copyright infringement and, in more limited cases, trademark infringement.
Research a case where the Fair Use doctrine was raised as a defense to a claim of intellectual property infringement. Then, write a 3-4 page paper in which you:
- Explain the facts of the case and the legal reasoning relied upon to reach the result in the case.
- Define the Fair Use Doctrine and discuss whether it was successfully raised. (If it was successfully raised, this means the defendant won). Do you agree with the result in the case?
- Do you agree with the defense of Fair Use? In answering this question, please address:
- Why is it important to protect intellectual property?
- Why is it important for society to have access to intellectual property?
- Does the Fair Use Doctrine properly balance the rights of content producers against the public good?
Your well-written paper should be 3-4 pages in length, not including the title or references pages. Include a minimum of two scholarly sources beyond the textbook. Review the grading rubric, which can be accessed from the Course Information page, and make sure to follow the CSU-Global Guide to Writing and APA Requirements. Please be sure to reach out to your instructor early in the week if you have any questions about the assignment.