Code of Ethics:
Module 5 discusses how companies promote ethical behavior and the role of ethics in organizations. With this in mind, discuss the following points in the form of an essay, as if you are the owner of a small business.
- Write a code of ethics to guide employee behavior in your company. List a minimum of 4 principles and practices that you would include in your code of ethics that would align with the culture that you are trying to create for your company.
- How does your code of ethics or ethical plan align with your major goals?
- How will you ensure that employees are representing the company with integrity and ethical behavior?
SAMPLE OF CODE OF ETHICS
Home Depot Code of Ethics
- Taking care of our people:
The key to our success is treating people well. We do this by encouraging associates to speak up and take risks, by recognizing and rewarding good performance and by leading and developing people so they may grow.
- Giving back to our communities:
An important part of the fabric of The Home Depot is giving our time, talents, energy and resources to worthwhile causes in our communities and society.
- Doing the right thing:
We exercise good judgment by “doing the right thing” instead of just “doing things right.” We strive to understand the impact of our decisions, and we accept responsibility for our actions.
- Excellent customer service:
Along with our quality products, service, price and selection, we must go the extra mile to give customers knowledgeable advice about merchandise and to help them use those products to their maximum benefit.
- Creating shareholder value:
The investors who provide the capital necessary to allow our company to grow need and expect a return on their investment. We are committed to providing it.
- Building strong relationships:
Strong relationships are built on trust, honesty and integrity. We listen and respond to the needs of customers, associates, communities and vendors, treating them as partners.
- Entrepreneurial spirit:
The Home Depot associates are encouraged to initiate creative and innovative ways of serving our customers and improving the business and to spread best practices throughout the company.
- Respect for all people:
In order to remain successful, our associates must work in an environment of mutual respect, free of discrimination and harassment where each associate is regarded as a part of The Home Depot team.
Use the required format to address the questions below in the form of an essay. Your essay should include the following:
- The paper should be double-spaced in a Word document and a minimum of 1-2 pages in length.
- Choose a minimum of 2 academic sources for your research, such as a book (other than your textbook) or an academic scholarly journal. Academic scholarly journals can be accessed through the Rasmussen Online Library. For business sources, ProQuest and EBSCO Host are helpful. Use NoodleBib to document your sources and to complete your APA formatted reference page.
- Include your sources in an APA formatted reference page. Include an APA formatted title page