Case Study: Connor
You are an ABA professional on a wrap-around team that works with Connor Brown, an 8-year-old boy diagnosed with Autism, speech delay, gross motor delay, mild intellectual disability, and sensory processing disorder. Connor is currently receiving in home ABA services from you, and you are currently focusing on self-care skills, functional communication of basic needs, and decreasing self-injurious behavior. In addition, he is receiving occupational therapy, physical therapy, and is being followed by a developmental pediatrician in your clinic. Connor attends a specialized, university-based day treatment program, also housed in the same complex as your clinic. Despite all of these services, Connor is NOT MAKING much progress. Your data is showing that his self-injurious behavior has remained at baseline levels for nearly 3 months. The reinforcement system that you have devised is not yielding much better results for self-care skills or functional communication. You decide to take Connor’s case back to the team for consultation. When you present your concerns, the speech and language pathologist asks you why you are working on the same speech issues she is working on with Connor. The occupational therapist explains to you that none of your reinforcement attends to Connor’s sensory needs. The team leader (the developmental pediatrician) remains quiet but thoughtful during the meeting. The special education teacher states that Connor has already successfully done some of the self-care skills at school that you are working on at home.
The Assignment should follow this general outline:
- Introduction: presenting the Case Study.
- The areas of strength within Connor’s treatment team.
- The barriers to the team functioning effectively.
- How to build upon the strengths and address the barriers BASED UPON PERFORMANCE BARRIERS
- Supporting citations from the research literature showing that your selected method is based on evidenced based best practices.
- Your plan to develop reliable performance measures to address the treatment team’s behavior performance.
- Conclusion: Reviewing main points and summarizing presentation.
- References: Slide(s) with APA formatted references for all sources used in the preparation of the presentation.
Please keep the following expectations in mind:
- A minimum of 15 slides (not including title, team member page, and references slides). POWER POINT
- A title slide with a title that clearly indicates the topic of the presentation.
- A team member page with each team member’s name.
- Use one basic slide design and layout.
- Use charts and graphs as needed.
- Limit slides to between 6 and 8 lines of content.
- Use bullets for your main points.
- Use speaker notes to fully explain what is being discussed in the bullet points as though you are presenting to an audience.
- Use APA citations on appropriate slides.
- If images are used, they should be properly referenced.
- A minimum of three academic or scholarly sources