The purpose of this assignment is for you to gain a deeper appreciation and knowledge about a topic covered in class that you will be able to use in your professional/management career. Your report should:
– Demonstrate your understanding of the main ideas and theses of the book, and
– Include an application of the concepts you would like to include in your professional and personal development.
· Use these questions to guide your thinking what to write about:
– What was the author’s purpose and/or the main themes of the book?
– Why did you select this topic and this book? What initially drew you to the subject matter? What did you hope to gain as a result of reading it?
– What is your overall response to the book? Did you find it thought-provoking, moving, dull? Why?
– What parts did you like best and why? Don’t try to summarize each chapter or every angle. Choose the ones that are most significant and interesting to you.
– Identify what specifically you want to remember about what the author asserts. Are there particular quotes or images you will take with you from the book?
– In what way did the book impact you cognitively (e.g. your understanding of the way the world works)? Emotionally?
– What important conclusions have you come to as a result of reading the book?
– How would you like to apply what you gleaned from the book into your life? Why would that be important to you?
· Length. 5-7 pages (write as long or as short as you need to in order to make your points. Quality is more important to me than quantity.
This is not a typical book review. I can find those on-line. I want to know what the book means to you as it relates to what we are learning in class, and how you will use it. (If you hate it, and don’t see application, tell me why…back you assertion…you are allowed not to like the book!)